What are dietary supplements in general?
Biologically active additives (BAA) are a complex of vitamins, minerals and trace elements necessary to maintain human health. The composition includes a variety of useful elements aimed at restoring and supporting internal systems and organs.
The effect of dietary supplements is achieved by the composition, which may include various elements:
- Amino acids;
- Essential fatty acids;
- Trace elements.
When are dietary supplements needed?
1. There is a suspicion that the body receives insufficient nutrients with ordinary food. It can also be detected by medical tests. For example, the body has a low calcium content, but close to normal, there is no need to take vitamins.
2. A person eats properly and in a balanced way, but he deals with heavy loads on a daily basis. Regular overload gradually wears out the body, dietary supplements will help maintain health.
3. The doctors' examinations revealed minor deviations from the norm. The doctor will advise on the specific supplement that is appropriate for the patient.
4. Proper nutrition is very expensive. If a person realizes that he does not receive the necessary substances from food due to the scarcity of the diet, it will be more economical to use dietary supplements.
5. Cooked food is not as healthy. During heat treatment, a significant amount of vitamins is lost. Supplements are needed to restore balance.
6. Regular stress. Almost all residents of modern cities suffer from lack of sleep, a sedentary lifestyle, and mental overwork. Maintaining the body in good shape without additional funds is almost impossible.
7. There are memory problems. Again, due to lack of sleep and constant overload, mental capacity can be reduced. Vitamin complexes in dietary supplements will help in the prevention and maintenance of brain function.
8. Frequent colds. Weakened immunity leads to regular colds, a feeling of weakness. Supplements contain enough trace elements and vitamins to restore immunity.
9. Overweight and digestive problems. Dietary supplements help improve the functioning of the digestive tract, which is especially important for people who are losing weight. Some formulations are designed to eliminate constipation, others help restore the microflora of the tract.
10. Aging. With age, tissue regeneration and self-healing slows down, health deteriorates, this is natural. Vitamin complexes help prolong youth, improve appearance and well-being.
- Supplements are necessary to supplement a person's diet with nutrients if he does not get enough of them from regular food.
- Supplements are needed to improve the existing parameters of the body, help its systems. With the right approach, without overestimated expectations, an effect really appears: the body and organs work better, the body is maintained in one state.
In general, dietary supplements help in the prevention of weakening of the immune system and a number of diseases.
Pros of dietary supplements:
- Have a beneficial effect on the body;
- Allow you to receive a full range of elements every day and negatively affect health;
- The effect is felt with regular intake of dietary supplements in courses;
- There are all-natural supplements on the market that are sourced from plants;
- Supplements the daily diet, helps to create a balanced menu;
- With proper use, they help speed up the process of losing weight, improve digestion, and memory.
Cons of dietary supplements:
- Not all manufacturers approach formulation responsibly;
- Some substances may not be included in the composition and may negatively affect on health;
- Some brands add useless substances to the composition;
- Dietary supplements cannot cover all the body's needs for vitamins, they have a narrowly targeted effect.
Important to remember:
- Any dietary supplements should be bought only in pharmacies.
- When using supplements and multivitamins, check for overlap. There is a risk of overdose.
- The usual course of taking dietary supplements is from 3 to 6 months.
- Food supplements are not a substitute for proper nutrition and personal care.
- Dietary supplements are not recommended during pregnancy and lactation.
- Dietary supplements must be prescribed by a doctor.
Made in compliance with all technologies, properly stored, correctly recommended to the consumer, dietary supplements are beneficial. But these are not medicines, but food products that correct the deficiencies in the diet of a modern person.
Dietary supplements supply the body with those microelements that we need and which are not able to provide in sufficient quantities with ordinary nutrition. Because they are, there will probably be more of them. But they must necessarily correspond to their purpose, all hygienic standards.
Cariello M., Piccinin E., Moschetta A. Transcriptional Regulation of Metabolic Pathways via Lipid-Sensing Nuclear Receptors PPARs, FXR, and LXR in NASH. // Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol - 2021 - Vol11 - N5 - p.1519-1539; PMID:33545430
Henchion M., Zimmermann J. Animal food products: policy, market and social issues and their influence on demand and supply of meat. // Proc Nutr Soc - 2021 - Vol - NNULL - p.1-12; PMID:33397528
Visioli F., Poli A. Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Risk. Evidence, Lack of Evidence, and Diligence. // Nutrients - 2020 - Vol12 - N12 - p.; PMID:33317164
Hassan FU., Arshad MA., Ebeid HM., Rehman MS., Khan MS., Shahid S., Yang C. Phytogenic Additives Can Modulate Rumen Microbiome to Mediate Fermentation Kinetics and Methanogenesis Through Exploiting Diet-Microbe Interaction. // Front Vet Sci - 2020 - Vol7 - NNULL - p.575801; PMID:33263013
Gotteland M., Riveros K., Gasaly N., Carcamo C., Magne F., Liabeuf G., Beattie A., Rosenfeld S. The Pros and Cons of Using Algal Polysaccharides as Prebiotics. // Front Nutr - 2020 - Vol7 - NNULL - p.163; PMID:33072794
Sridevi V., Naveen P., Karnam VS., Reddy PR., Arifullah M. Beneficiary and Adverse Effects of Phytoestrogens: A Potential Constituent of Plant-based Diet. // Curr Pharm Des - 2021 - Vol27 - N6 - p.802-815; PMID:32942973